Thursday, July 25, 2013

Throwback: Pumpkin Pie Failure / Success in Finding What Doesn't Work

Hey! So I'm back! Kinda. My mom said I should make more of these, and I'm cheating by posting an old recipe. This is a post I made in another journal about three years ago, in which I explain to the readers (well, realistically, I think I had one reader, but let's pretend I'm more popular than I am) that the pumpkin pie I had been looking so forward to making... did not live up to expectations. But it ended up tasting a'ight.

The pie did not go as planned.

I bought a can of Libby's Pumpkin Pie Filling and followed the directions (aside from using ginger and cloves).
I had a 9 inch pan.
1 12 ounce can of Carnation Evaporated Milk (in the same section as the pie filling-- for your holiday baking convenience)
Approximately 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of Splenda (I prefer it over sugar)
Approximately 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Approximately 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice (in lieu of the ginger and cloves)
2 large eggs
And 6 scoops of chai mix bought from the local coffeeshop (because the mix called for one scoop per 2 oz. of hot water or milk-- 12 oz. of evaporated milk would make 6 scoops)

So I nuked the evaporated milk into a bowl for 90 seconds and poured it into the mixing bowl (I didn't trust the mixing bowl in the microwave). I whisked the chai mix in with the heated evaporated milk (it wouldn't mix well if not heated after all). I added the Splenda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice in the increments as noted and whisked vigorously. I then added two large eggs and whisked those, ensuring the yolks were all kinds of mushed. I opened the can of pumpkin pie filling and scooped it out with a large spoon and thoroughly stirred the contents of the mixing bowl.

I began pouring the mix into the pie crust. And then I noticed that I still had plenty left over. I have no idea why. It was almost enough for another pie (a puny one, but still). I tried to add a bit more to the pie, thinking that it would just be a SUPER PIE!

I realized the flaw in my plan as I made the seemingly long walk to the oven. The filling began to seep over the sides, and I rushed as slowly as possible (yeah, I know what I said) to a nearby counter, leaving behind a trail of pumpkin pie filling on the kitchen floor... I should have taken a picture of it, just for the silly factor. I cleaned the floor and scooped excess filling from the pie back into the mixing bowl (filling from the pie, not filling from the floor. I have some class.). This time, I had no trouble walking to the oven, but I did singe a knuckle getting the pie inside. I consider it a tiny pink badge of courage though.

425 degrees for 15 minutes. 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

I called my mom to find out what to do with the excess filling. I have no need for another pie at this time. I'm making pies on Tuesday for Thanksgiving (because Wednesday is work and journeying seven hours to see family). I have saved it and may make a tiny pie.

I checked up on the pie by peering through the glass and saw that it appeared to be sinking in the middle. D'oh. I thought, "Well, I can always add whipped cream and cinnamon on top in the center and even that out." Then near the end of it baking, it inverted. Rather than sinking, it was puffing upward. I didn't know what to do about that. The timer went off shortly thereafter, and I took out the pie to see that it looked... burnty.


The burnt-looking areas appear to be where the excess filling was. It reminds me of cheese toast. You know? That upper layer that gets burnt, but then you peel that off, and everything underneath it remains awesome? I'm hoping that's what happened here because this top layer feels kind of like that... Eesh.

I'm disappointed in the appearance obviously. I haven't tried the pie yet. I set it out for two hours and put it in the fridge overnight. We're going out of town this weekend to see friends and watch Shakespearean plays. I made the pie for the fellas because I wanted to show how awesome my pie-baking skills are (after having successfully made a chai pumpkin pie last week). I've talked up this pie for the past week and a change, so naturally, I wanted it to be flawless.

But then, my life is a comedy of errors, so it's to be expected, and it's why people love me. In that respect, the pie turned out exactly as it should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment